Tuesday, April 30, 2019

A forgotten member of the 1998 Yankees

One of the forgotten members of the 1998 Yankees was 1B Dale Sveum.

Despite a lengthy playing career, I don't think I had heard of Sveum before he joined the Yankees. Outside of a power surge in 1987, he was a light hitting infielder that a kid growing up in the steroid-era really wouldn't have noticed if he wasn't playing for the hometown team. Even as a collector back then, I don't remember pulling cards of Sveum the way I remember getting guys like Chris Sabo or Bobby Ayala.

Then the Yankees signed him in the offseason to back up Tino Martinez at 1B, so I became aware of him then.

I don't even remember him playing that much, although baseball reference tells me he played in 30 games. I remember one of them, as I was coming home from a baseball game of my own, and I hadn't kept up with the Yanks that night. I asked my sister if Tino did anything in the game, and she said "He didn't play. Someone named Dale did."

He actually played quite a bit in May, as Tino landed on the DL after being hit in the back by Armando Benitez, sparking the great brawl. (Side note - Tino was on his was to another big season before he got drilled, and while he still he 28 HRs and over 120 RBIs, it felt like a down year after his 44/141 the year before)

Regardless, whether or not I have many memories of him, he was a member of one of the greatest teams of all time.

I only remember seeing a few Sveum cards, but luckily I had the one above from 1998 Pacific Online. Sveum was kind enough to sign it for me in about six weeks time.

6 comments:

  1. Sveum is an awesome signer, I got a TTM from him on the same card a while back too.
    It's not surprising that you don't remember him since he wasn't really on the World Series roster (he didn't even get a ring). Though he would get a World Series ring as a coach with the Royals in 2015 and might've gotten one in 2004 with the Red Sox if the postseason hadn't been cut short before the ALCS ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't get a ring for being in 30 games?! That's surprising to me. I think he was released well before the Playoffs.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember him playing... but I definitely remember pulling his cards back in the late 80's. Those were the good old days when I'd sit down and bust box after box, building sets... and creating player lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot he was a Yankee too. I remember that brawl very well but didn't remember that Tino went on the DL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sveum was released in August because he wasn't hitting a lick as a reserve. But he did get a ring because the Yankees let him stay around as a batting practice pitcher and so he was technically a member of the coaching staff the rest of the season. He was still with the team in uniform through the postseason and got a ring. Even though he still knew he could play, he preferred to stick around as an inactive coach to be part of what the Yankees were doing in 98.

    ReplyDelete