Saturday, May 23, 2020

Tork power

The May/June SI for Kids issue showed up this week. A couple issues back they went to a bi-monthly  release instead of monthly, probably one of the final steps before the publication folds all together as SI continues to get run into the ground by Maven. 

This is the second issue with the new card design. I thought it was a pretty solid issue, overall, especially in terms of cards of prospects and young players.
The highlight is probably Spencer Torkelson of Arizona State. Most MLB mock drafts expect him to go first overall this June to the Tigers, who seem to pick first every year. Them or the Orioles. Good thing they didn't feature Jasson Dominguez so I didn't have to see people on Twitter with shopping cards full of this magazine.

Immediately to his right is Ja Morant. I guess this is a RC, right? He's still in his rookie season and the likely NBA Rookie of the Year, even though Zion came on strong. FYI, I took Zion at +1800 before he came back, and he was down to about +400 or so at the time of the shutdown. He was coming!

But happy to have this Ja Morant card, for sure.

Obi Toppin is a likely top 5 pick whenever the NBA Draft is held. He had a huge year for Dayton, who has one of the most annoying fanbases on the planet.

Christen Press is a cool card too, as anyone on the US Women's National Team is cool in my book. They need more cards of that team. Or maybe they do and I just don't know. But seems like a missed opportunity every couple years. And if they do have cards, I apologize for my ignorance.

Shane Bieber has become an excellent pitcher for Cleveland. The Yankees hired the Indians' pitching guru in hopes of getting the same results for some of their young guys.

Derrick Henry is one of the best running backs in the game, and is responsible for me owning a Jeter autograph. He won me my fantasy league two years ago, and I used the prize money on the Jeter.

Megan Walker of UCONN is now an NY Liberty player, being taken 7th overall by the team in last months draft.

I can't say I know anything about Jamie Ortega or Megan Faraimo, but they are in good company on this page for sure.

I think my subscription ends next month, so I'll definitely have to re-up...as long as the publication is still going.

5 comments:

  1. I need a ton of the Braves in the SI for Kids run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad what Maven's done to SI, only a matter of time before it gets worse too.

    As for Ja vs Zion, think the consensus is that Zion missed too much time. In a lot of ways it's a miracle he came back so soon at all and actually propelled the Pels from pretenders to also-rans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ortega was the pre-season National Player of the Year for UNC. Sadly, they skipped over Erin Matson, who is a sophomore field hockey player at UNC. She is a sophomore, has won two National Champion already, and was the ACC Female Athlete of the Year for 2020. Easily the most dominant Olympic sport athlete in college at the moment. I have reached my quota of kind words for Tar Heels for this year with this comment. Love the Torkelson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't remember the last time I saw an SI for Kids card page with no hockey player. Neat to have a softball player, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Final steps? Oh no... I hope not. I love collecting these cards. It sucks big time that they're only publishing it every other month now. Oh well... on a positive note... it'll save me binder space.

    ReplyDelete