Saturday, July 11, 2020

Clearly Traveling

This summer, we've already had one trip canceled due to the COVOD-19 pandemic. As you may or may not recall from previous blog posts, we making a yearly trip to a lake in New Hampshire. I always visit a card shop while there, and have chronicled that before. My most recent revisit was here, although I must've gone to the shop last year too and not blogged about it.

Anyways, it's usually the last week of June, and we didn't go this summer, for obvious reasons.

We do hope to go to the Jersey Shore in a few weeks, though work is so busy for me right now (which I'm thankful for) that I may simply go and work from there, maybe ducking down to the beach for an hour or two here. That will also depend on the bozos there and their ability to social distance. Based on the usual Jersey Shore crowd, I'm not optimistic.

Regardless, most travel for the summer has been called off. I'm definitely staying away from airports.

One thing I've never seen at airports are baseball cards. However, I just received a trade offer for a 2019 Topps Clear Travel Gleyber Torres. I had no idea what this was, but the other person had asked for a 202 Heritage SP of future Yankee Fransisco Lindor. I thought it was a fair swap for an oddball of Gleyber.
The card itself looks no different than 2019 Topps. No added logo. Just a different number on the back - CP-18. I wish they had the Utz treatment with a logo, but it's still a neat card to add. I'm not quite cure what the "P" stands for. Maybe "Clear Packs"?
According to Cardboard Connection, these cards were distributed at MLB parks and nearby airports. They also came with a coupon for the Clear travel service, which is like a pre-check, skip the line type of service. I have never seen one outside of an airport, but apparently some parks have a "Clear" line that serves in a similar manner. Five card packs were given out for using the service.

If I didn't know this card was a Clear Travel version, I would have skipped right over it. Check your card backs, people!

It's clear to me that this is only travel reward I'm going to get this year.

5 comments:

  1. I got some of these at Yankee Stadium late last year. (They use CLEAR now too). This will be my first year not going to a game in at least 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intriguing giveaway. I avoid airports in general. I don't mind flying but the pre-boarding stress keeps me on the ground. I've seen 'clear' cards but these made zero sense to me since they are obviously not CLEAR. Acetate. Thanks for...ahem...clearing that up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting oddball. It would have been cool if these were made out of acetate. As for traveling... this is the first summer in a long, long, long time that I won't be going anywhere :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! What's travel in 2020? Nothing. That's what. Though I got to see my parents & family in a nearby state recently and that was totally awesome. Before this whole thing I never thought of a stay-cation as a possibility but I just had one and it was actually really pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to cancel all my plans this year too and will definitely not be going to the jersey shore despite only being about 20 minutes from Belmar. Lots of streaming is all I have planned for the summer.

    That Gleyber is a cool oddball

    ReplyDelete