Friday, June 25, 2021

Put a ring on it

Thus far, Tino Martinez has far less cards in 2021 than he did in 2020. That's ok. His modern card numbers have been soaring, so it's nice to take a step back a bit. 

In 2019, he had 69 cards. In 2020, that jumped to an unreasonable 144. Halfway through 2021, he sits at 15 cards, and most of those are autographs. No base cards...yet.

My latest pickup in 2021 is from Topps Series 2, as Tino is part of the World Series Ring relic insert set. I'm a but lukewarm on manu-relics not being something that is a bonus in a blaster, but it's nothing to get worked up over. 
The card looks nice enough, and the relic resembles the actual 2000 World Series ring. Tino had a tough year in 2000 with only 16 homers and a .258 BA. However, all was forgotten, as he had a very good post-season and contributed to the Yankees 3-peat. In the ALDS, he hit .421 in five games. In the ALCS, he hit .320 with a homer in six games. And in the World Series versus the Mets, he hit .364. That's how you make people forget a poor regular season. By performing when it matters most.

There are parallels and autographs for this card, of course. I'm in no hurry to grab them. I'm content with this card for now.
Sup.

4 comments:

  1. Nice enough looking card. I've been slack in checking 2021 for my PCs. I guess I have work to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got mixed feelings on manu-relics... but these rings are nice. I have some from a different year and was impressed at how attractive (and heavy) they are in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Yogi Berra one from a few years ago and it's VERY heavy. These are much lighter. They aren't really metal as much as they are plastic.

      Delete
  3. In general not a manufactured relic fan, but sometimes the companies make some good ones and I think this is one. There's an Upper Deck Manu-relic set called "Championship Rings" that I love.

    ReplyDelete