Saturday, April 15, 2017

My favorite Tino card

This is a tough one.

With my collection being 800 cards deep, I didn't know which Tino to choose. Donruss Crusade? Certified autograph? Pacific In The Cage?

Instead, I'm going to go the sentimental route. In 2000 or 2001 (can't remember but I THINK 2001), Tino was banged up a little in September with a hand injury. I don't call him going on the DL, but I knew he was going to sit out a few games, it was announced. I had never had a TTM success with him in multiple tries, but I gave it a shot anyhow.

I put a little baseball sticker on the back of my SASE so I knew it would be his, if it came back. I also took a '98 Collector's Choice Stick-Ums of Tino and decorated the front of the envelope.

I returned home from school a few days later, on my birthday, in fact, and there was a PWE waiting for me on the stoop of the front stairs, where my mom put my mail. I turned around the PWE, and saw the baseball sticker.

I opened it, and this fell out.
I was shocked to receive a TTM success from my favorite player! I was thrilled with the card I had chosen too, as his 1997 HR Derby win was a highlight of childhood.

Since then, I have gotten Tino once more TTM (a few years ago), and have numerous certified autographs. However, this will always be the one that means the most to me.

Thanks for the contest, Peter of Baseball Every Night.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhh... Very nice choice and a great story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always great to hear the story behind this :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome story and a great card. Thank you for participating in the contest!

    ReplyDelete