Thursday, March 22, 2018

Who you callin' a Squirt?

Matt from Doc Holoday is one of the best blogging dudes out there.

First off, his customs are true works of art...even when they have Red Sox players on them.
Some of my best blogging buddies are Red Sox fans, so it just goes to show what a great group of collectors we've got around these parts. Matt is no exception, and this trade package meant a lot because I know he's been dealing with a lot since late summer when Hurricane Harvey affected him and millions others in Texas and the southeastern US.

Matt sent me a message that I had 2 lbs of Yankees headed by way, and right away I was greeted with a card I had always wanted:
Squirt! I love this card. And I love squirt. Full disclosure - on New Year's Eve this past year I was shopping for food to make that night, and wandered down the soda aisle and my eyes immediately went to Squirt. The colors are so catchy! I bought a 2 liter and drank the whole thing that day. It's delicious! And I'm really happy to have this card.

He wasn't joking about the 2 lbs of cards either. Holy moly was their great stuff, including this Dellin Betances holiday relic.
And some really, really shiny Yankees. I don't know much about Topps Finest these days other than knowing the Refractors still look awesome.
Roger Clemens was represented well in this box. I really like the Double Play insert with Greg Maddux on the flip side.
Derek Jeter cards are always welcome in my collection:
At the time, this was probably a stretch. Now, even more so! Ruben Rivera sharing a card with The Big Hurt? Not a great look.
Oddballs besides the Squirt Reggie were found too. Sweet Woolworth card of Mattingly!
I keep saying it, but Severino is criminally under-priced right now.
Some nice cards of Yankees legends from some newer products - Reggie, Gehrig, and The Mick finding his way into Donruss.
I had no idea that Steve Sax's brother, Dave Sax, played in the majors!
Two trippy ARods. The old Fleer Ultra inserts really hold up today. This was a Diamond Mine insert.
Big Mike /499! Good luck in Minnesota, my friend.
Look how young Jorge looks! I collected a ton of Collector's Choice growing up, but I don't think I have this card. The base card designs were always pretty tastefully done.
Trust me, there were many, many more great cards. Matt, I really appreciate you thinking of me. Keep up the amazing work with the customs!

7 comments:

  1. You better put them away before you drop that box on your foot, it would hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2L of Squirt in one day? Were you balancing off the walls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a huge haul of Yanks (and Yank adjacent) cards. That'll keep you busy for a while.

    And that Mookie card is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 9:45pm and I'm totally craving a can of Squirt right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Betts is awesome, but that box must of been so fun to go through. Such a wide variety and assortment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you like them dude! It was just a small thank you for the well wishes and support! I had fun putting that box together. Soon there will be some customs headed your way, once my workshop (aka garage) gets up and running again :)

    ReplyDelete