Friday, May 4, 2018

Sometimes, the simplest cards can elude you


It always makes me laugh when I think about simple cards missing from my Tino Martinez collection. I always feel like there aren’t many early 1990s cards I haven’t unearthed, but then all the sudden I’m like, “wait, I don’t have the 1994 Donruss base card?”

This happened recently when all-around nice guy Kin reached out with this 1993 Pacific.
I was sure I had it, but still checked my “have” list. Would you look at that? It wasn’t there. Somehow, in my 20+ years of collecting Tino, and in all the times when I’ve bought 100-card lots for the two I didn’t have, this card wasn’t there.

Kin sent me two copies and apologized because each had a little paper loss. That’s what happens to 25 year old cards. They stick together! It doesn’t matter to me. I’m just happy to add it the 1993 section of my Tino collection.
It’s Tino #23 for 1993 and #846 overall.

Thanks, Kin!

8 comments:

  1. '93 Pacific is a toughie, for whatever reason. I've had the Dale Murphy from this set on my want list for almost two years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick-

      I ended up with probably 250-300 of these. Just looked and no Murphy. Was going to send it to you. Sorry.

      Delete
  2. Glad they arrived safely...just wish they were mint for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kin is a good guy for sure. That's great you now have the card. No matter how careful I am, I find I'm missing cards all the time; and likewise I'm always buying cards I already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may have been a player you collect in there...and in a stack to send to you at some point. Well, not a stack, it's the only one that I have for you right now!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on #846! Kin is a fine gent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Primera Base, he was a really good 1B for the Yankees after Mattingly retired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta say... 1993 Pacific is a fine looking design. I'd be tempted to bust a box, but after hearing about the "sticking" issue, I'm not sure it'd be worth the risk. Maybe someone on eBay has a set that's been stored in a binder.

    ReplyDelete