Sunday, February 16, 2020

An actual Snapshot

I recently completed a TCDB trade with a user named NYMHall. I received two Tino cards, as well as an Aaron Judge, in exchange for five different Mets card. Rather, a few were cards of current Mets but shown on different teams, such as Marcus Stroman with the Jays.

The highlight for me was a 1998 Pinnacle Snapshot. I was surprised that when I actually opened the package, it wasn't really a card at all. It was a slightly larger...errr...photo, as the set name would suggest.
Now, I am certainly counting this as a Tino card, as it was an issued card set. Or something. I think I just expected it was a full bleed card of the snapshot. Sort of like Archives Snapshots have become. I didn't anticipate this being a photo on photo paper.

The other Tino was something I had no idea existed. I guess some of the 1998 Collector's Choice cards have different-shaped holograms on the back? What? I have no idea. I probably have about 25 copies of this card, so maybe I should go check the back of all of my Collector's Choice cards for hologram variations? What a pain!
Lastly, the third card in this deal was of 2017 AL MVP, Aaron Judge. Bowman Platinum isn't something I've ever opened or seen in the wild, so always nice to pick up cards from these sets.
Cool trade, even if it made me feel like a bit of a failure for not knowing these Tinos existed.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know about those Snapshots photocards until Dennis sent me some Red Sox a few years back. And all those UD Hologram variations are so frustrating. Thanks to TCDB I have to check all the early 90s UD, Topps, and Donruss singles for these minuscule differences like copyright notation, dark ink/light ink, text hologram, logo hologram...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Guess I'll have to go dig through my Gwynns, Maddux, Henderson, and Thomas cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes the best kind of parallels, the ones where the only difference is some obscure thing on the back that no one cares for.

    ReplyDelete