Monday, January 22, 2018

6 1/3 innings, no decision

I've always been fascinated by the Topps relic cards that have an MLB authentication hologram on them. This started a few years ago with Topps Strata.

I feel like this should be standard for all relics.

Since I've always wanted one, I recently came across a seller who listed a few for fairly cheap. My choice was between Masahiro Tanaka and Jacoby Ellsbury. Tough choice...not!
I snagged the Tanaka, of course. I was surprised to find that the card was actually flat and had an acetate window over it. I didn't expect that. I expected to be able to touch the jersey, but I guess it's so someone can't take the sticker off and place it somewhere else.

I traced the authentication hologram back to his April 23, 2015 start at Detroit. It was his fourth start of the season.

Tanaka's final line: 6 1/3 innings, 3 hits, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 Ks. Pretty typical Tanaka start. The Yankees won 2-1, but he was awarded a no decision. Dellin Betances earned the win, while Andrew Miller nailed down the save.

Pretty cool to be able to trace it back!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, I've never seen them on jerseys. My experience with them comes from Topps Now relic cards that have a piece of base in them. They came in magnetic one touch holders but the ones I have don't have the window cover on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typical Tanaka start? Psh.
    I had him on my fantasy league team last year... I remember a different version in May of last season. LOL
    Regardless, nice pick-up! I'm a fan of the little holostickers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Card companies should be forced to include this MLB documentation when they use the term "game used memorabilia". Although they'd skirt around the issue by calling it "player worn" and using vague COA's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the first year of Strata. I bought so many of the Cutch cards that year. Love love love the true authenticity.

    ReplyDelete