Tuesday, January 16, 2018

A Judge RC for Joey

I recently told a former colleague of mine that a pre-bedtime ritual for myself and my six-year-old are for him to take a stack of cards and read me the stats on the back.

A few days later, I got a text from this same person saying he remembered me saying that Joey likes to look at cards, and that he had a few packs in his office gathering dust. He asked for my address and said he'd send them along.

On Friday they arrived.

There were two clear cellophane packs of 2017 Topps with six cards each, a pack of 2017 Donruss football, and a pack of 1990-91 Skybox basketball (which were already opened).

I didn't expect the baseball packs to contain much given they were a sampler of some sorts. I have no idea where they might have been given out.

I opened the first pack, and as you'd expect, not much there. However, all usable cards for our nightly stat sessions.

In the second pack, tucked in the middle was this:
Nice! One of the 2017 card of the year: the Aaron Judge Topps flagship rookie card. Cool! I pulled it aside and put it in a top loader within Joey's cards in my collection. He'll get it back one day, of course.
I don't know much about 2017 football cards, but I think this was the best card in the football pack. Watson was having a great season before tearing his ACL.
In the opened basketball pack, I did get one card to add to Joey's HOF collection. It's funny, but I definitely busted a box of these as a kid, as 1990-91 Skybox and Hoops were both like $10 a box later in the '90s. Basketball equivalent of baseball junk wax, I guess.

All-in-all, not bad, and definitely appreciate the cards from my former colleague.


2 comments:

  1. I remember being at a Bucks game at the Bradley Center in 1991 and seeing Skybox for $50 a box at a souvenir stand. Blew my 9-year-old mind. Then, when I saw that the game programs came with a free pack of Skybox, I convinced my dad to get me one. I think my best card from that pack was Kevin McHale or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pull for your son. I just picked up my first flagship Judge rookie on Sunday. Gonna write about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete