Monday, January 1, 2018

TLC in '18

I'm basically recycling a post I made last January 1st. I'm not one for New Year's Resolutions. I believed then and I believe now that I can make a change in my life if needed and not because the calendar says January 1st. This is especially true for card-collecting. It is a hobby of mine, and I don't want to feel pressured by self-imposed goals.

With that being said, here are seven items I addressed last January 1st, and they still hold true.

1. Add 2018 to my Topps Yankees Project. That's the only real goal I had in 2017, and it was achieved thanks to Tyler Clippard. I haven't seen the 2018 checklist yet, but I hope there is a player who signs.

2. Continue to send out TTMs. I sent out about 150 in 2016 and 143 in 2017. TTMs are probably my favorite part of the hobby and they make me happy. I tend to send a lot at the beginning of the year and then tire during the summer and fall.

3. Organize. My collection is as messy as ever, although I did just buy a few storage items from BCW to help me tackle this problem. Still, it's daunting.

4. As it relates to the above, I really want to take another inventory of my Tino collection to make sure everything is accounted for. I also want to officially count how many unique Jeters I have. I kept up with my Tinos all year and feel good about that. As for Jeter, sounds like a good opportunity to bust out my new sorting tray.

5. Joey's HOF binder - this has been neglected. I still have all the HOF cards that came in set aside for him, but I've been bad about adding them to the binder and keeping that page up to date.

6. Stop buying $3-$5 cards that add up. I failed miserably at that last year, and already bought a card today in that price range. Oops. But hey, it landed my an autograph of 2017 Yankees first rounder Clarke Schmidt.
7. Pick up a Jeter autograph. Yeah, I didn't do that in 2017. Maybe 2018 will be the year. It's weird, but he had more autographs than ever in 2017, yet prices didn't decrease even though there are more autographs out there. Plus, he is doing a pretty poor job running the Marlins so far. Yet, his autographs are still pretty untouched in terms of value.

Lastly, I want to send out more packages. I owe a few back to collectors and I'd like to be more proactive about sending.

And if I fail at the above, oh well! These are just guidelines, not resolutions!

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your guidelines TLC. I'll do my part by making organization harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be focusing on #3 and #6 too. Best of luck on #7. I'd love to add another Jeter to my collection one day... but they're just too rich for my blood. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you come up with a genius organization plan be sure to send it to me.

    ReplyDelete