Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Who has actually eaten Mother's Cookies?

I know Mother's Cookies only from the baseball cards issued in the late '80s and early '90s. From what I can tell, they are exclusive to west coast teams. Being a brand that started in Oakland according to their website, that's not particularly surprising.

To my knowledge, I've never seen nor enjoyed an actual Mother's Cookie. I'm sure they are delicious. I do enjoy the iced animal cookies shown on their website, but I'm sure I've eaten brands from around here and not from Mother's.
Credit: Mother's Cookies website
I'm most familiar with the Mariners issues of these cards since Tino Martinez was a Mariner from 1990-1995. I've chased a few of these cards, and recently picked up one up in a large COMC order I placed:
The fun thing about all these is how the design never really changed. They all look the same! This one is from 1993.

While I can't say whether or not Mother's Cookies are any good, they've been around since 1914, so I'm going to say they are.

Regardless, Mother certainly knew how to make sweet baseball cards.


11 comments:

  1. If Mother's Cookies have been around since 1914 you'd think they'd be stale by now. Sorry. Couldn't resist. That Martinez sure is a "sweet" looking card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mothers Cookies are on the shelves here in Houston and have been for as long as I can remember. I'm sure I've had some but I can't tell you when. We don't buy cookies like we did when my kids were young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in the SF Bay Area, so I had Mother's Cookies from time to time. The frosted ones were good, and the other types weren't so bad either. I had them at other houses more often than mine - we usually had Oreos or Chips Ahoy at home if we had cookies. And when I went to my grandmother's house, we made our own cookies.

    I think I got actual cards only once or twice from the packages, but they were readily available at shops and shows in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being from Portland, I never knew a time when there wasn't Mother's cookies on the shelves. I haven't had any cookies for a long time, so I can't really remember whether they were any good or not though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't bought them in years... but I've had my fair share of those frosted white and pink animal cookies. Like Ryan, I'm from the Bay Area and they're in every major grocery store around here. Back in the 80's the A's and Giants would have a Trading Card Day each year where the fans would receive a pack of (around) 28 Mother's Cookies cards. They'd give 20-22 different cards and 6-8 multiples of one player. The goal was to get fans to trade with each other to complete the set. So if you were really lucky in 1986, you'd get 21 different San Francisco Giants and 7 Will Clarks (hot item at the time). Anyways... sorry for the long comment. I tend to get carried away when I hear about Mother's Cookies trading cards. Don't even get me started on the early 80's Granny Goose cards ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mother's Cookies are hard as a rock and kind of taste like powder. That didn't stop me from buying them by the bag load back in the day to get Griffey cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if Mother's Cookie and Little Debbie are blood rivals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without ever having a Mother's Cookie, I can say with confidence she can't touch Little Debbie.

      Delete
  8. Mothers Cookie cards are very nice, Mothers Cookie cookies are pretty terrible.

    ReplyDelete