Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tino Tuesday #47: 1989 Topps Big #93


With July 4th upon us tomorrow, I figure a patriotic Tino card is in order. There aren't many cards more patriotic than this 1989 Topps Big card.

Tino represented Team USA in the 1988 Olympics, playing a starring role and leading the team to a gold medal. In fact, he hit two HRs in the gold medal game. I've always admired players who reach the height of their sport and are successful for both their team and country, such as an NBA player who has won an NCAA Championship, NBA Championship, and gold medal. Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan come to mind.

While I would never put him in the same breath as those two talent-wise, Tino won a gold medal and four championships with the Yankees. That's an impressive feat.

As for the card itself, I'm not a fan of Topps big. They are a pain in the butt to store any which way. Do I have all the Yankees? Yes. But that doesn't mean I have to like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment