Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tino Tuesday #48: 2001 Upper Deck Home Run Derby Heroes #HD5


With the Home Run Derby being last night, this felt like an appropriate Tino card to show off. It is actually from 2001 Upper Deck Home Run Derby Heroes. I do have several Tino cards from the Home Run Derby in 1997, as it ended up being a fairly popular in several 1998 releases to show him during the contest.

To this day, it's one of my best Tino memories. I was 13 years old at the time, so events like the Home Run Derby and the Slam Dunk Contest were major events each year. The fact that Tino was participating in the 1997 affair had me incredibly excited.

Tino came out on top, beating Larry Walker in the final round (although Walker had more HRs during the entire contest). Tino used his sweet lefty swing to his advantage at Jacobs Field, parking a bunch of balls in the right field stands. Not many picked him to win, and it was thrilling for me to watch my favorite player come away with the trophy. I still have the event on a VHS tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment