Saturday, June 27, 2020

A little Big League

On Friday night, I was fortunate enough to join a 2-box break of 2020 Topps Big League hosted by Colbey at Cardboard Connections. Today, I was able to open my own blaster.

I've been ordering blasters on Amazon with regular success. I usually have to pay $3-4 more than the suggested $19.99 price tag, but it beats schlepping 15 minutes to Target only to find zero cards. I'd rather just spend the extra few bucks and let it come to my doorstep. Plus, coronavirus could be at Target.

After enjoying Colbey's break, I decided I'm ready to like 2020 Big League. Not much else needs to be said about the design. Simple and classic. 2009 Upper Deck OPC has definitely been thrown out, and I agree with that. This year's is so much better than last year's mess! Leaps and bounds. Not close. I know many liked it, and that's fine. You do you, people. I was not one of them. I thought it was putrid and a big step backward from 2018.
Trash design.
But that's every set and part of the fun of collecting. One year the design can stink. The next, it can be really good. Or somewhere in between. And even when it stinks as bad as 2019, plenty of people still like it. Different tastes. I liked 2016 and 2017 Bunt, you didn't! It's ok to not all like the same thing, you know?

I thought the inserts and parallels were both done better this year, as well. Colbey called the one-per-pack orange parallels "safety orange." And I think that's a good assessment. As a Syracuse grad, give me more orange. I'll never say no to orange. I love the brightness, especially.
The one-per-blaster blue pack didn't yield much, but give me a little more Syracuse orange and blue when I put them next to each other.
As for the inserts, well done, Topps.

The Caricatures look a lot better in 2020, I think. A little less weird, and the cards are a bit fuller.
Here was 2019. Not totally different, but a little less weird. I think the team logos in the back help.
Roll Call is a good-looking set as well with a big old last name taking up most of the card. It reminds of these old Pacific cards, although in design alone with the giant name behind the player. Even though I like this set, it shouldn't be put anywhere near my Pacific pedestal. Enough of that nonsense. My fault.
Flipping Out is really fun, memorializing all of those disgusting bat flips today's players tend to do. We might even see more of them with twice the amount of DHs now. The horror. I was lucky enough to pull Aaron Judge from my packs. Colbey pulled Aaron Hicks for me too. I am happy about his inclusion because he has some great bat flips. Actually, they are more like bat drops. But they have a lot of swagger. He drops the bat like Bonds did.
Defensive Wizards are a lot more cartoony than I realized, although I don't have a problem with that. They are very neat cards. I didn't look at the checklist to see if they actually kept it to really well-regarded defensive players, but Gio Urshela is in the set, so it's good in my book. They would have looked great with some '90s foil!
Going back to the base for a second, I wasn't prepared for the backs all having a different color, which is a nice touch. For all you card-graders, be careful. The backs are very chip-prone.
My one real complaint about the set is how many tri-cards there are. Holy hell are, every other card felt like it was a league leader of some sorts. Doubles, Walks, IP, and on and on. That part of the set feels a little tedious. They aren't bad looking. They are just plentiful.
One thing Colbey's hobby boxes didn't have is the cutout card on the side of the box. I guess a downside to Amazon is that I couldn't choose who I got. Annoyingly, I got Miguel Cabrera, but will send it over to Scribbled Ink.
Solid effort by Topps Big League, and a breath of fresh air from an uninspiring flagship and the craziness of Bowman.

8 comments:

  1. Nice cards. Glad you got some Yankees. The Caricatures are a bit heinous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'll be boring and vote for the Judge base card. I like the borders on the parallels though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hands down this is my favorite set of the year. I think I would also prefer a few more player cards rather than all the tri-player cards as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That orange & blue looks like Gator colors to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goal on this Sunday is to make it through my two boxes so I can start to collate the set. With prices being so high on new releases it was refreshing opening Big League. You mentioned Pacific...yeah, can’t hold a candle...but the mention of Pacific has me thinking that I should host a break with Pacific in the spotlight. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this set and have already added one to my eBay watch list. Might need to target a set of those box cards too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love this product! Hope I can find some soon.

    ReplyDelete