Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Single Digits

My quest for 1,000 unique Tino Martinez cards has hit another milestone. I'm down to needing just 9 more.

Sometimes I think that 1K isn't that impressive. Other collectors often have a few thousand of their designated guy. But then I tell myself to shut up because 1. it is impressive and 2. Tino just doesn't have that many cards.

According to TCDB, I only have 38.9% of Tino cards. But that number is crap when you consider the hundreds of cards that consistent of Yankee Stadium Legacy and Topps Tek's 900 patterns in the late 90s.

The latest two came from Tim over Cardpocolypse. Tim was kind enough to match his Tino collection with my want list and send me two. So generous and cool, and he pushed me into single digits! The International Chrome Refractor is so pretty!
I also have snagged a few serial numbered shiny recently. I'm not sure why, but some uncommon Tino's have been popping up on eBay. People selling their old stuff during quarantine, maybe? The Revolution is a Shadow Series #'d to 99.
Several gold cards have come my way, as well. I have several of the 1992 Topps Gold Winners, but never had the plain old gold by itself. The Bowman is also a gold foil version.
A couple of oddballs made their way in as well!
Last but not least, I had totally forgotten to pick up 2019 Allen and Ginter X. I'm not a big A&G fan, but the all black version is pretty cool.
I still haven't decided what I'm going to do for #1000. Maybe I'll splurge. Maybe it'll just be a run of the mill base card I missed.

Time will tell. But I'm getting close. And it's getting very real.

10 comments:

  1. I think it is impressive! I just hit 100 McGwires, but that is far less impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Really great that you're so close to this MAJOR milestone. And it is major. And you should be proud and giddy and anxious. I'm rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I echo everything PKS has said here AND I think you should definitely splurge a little for #1,000.

      Delete
  3. Don't sell yourself short, 1000 Tinos is a great number. I've been following along on Twitter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1000 is pretty incredible! Glad to be some help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1,000 is super impressive. I highly doubt I have 1,000 Gwynns and he's by far my largest player collection. As for these cards, that International Refractor is gorgeous. That's one of my favorite parallels from the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a lot of Tinos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's huge and mind boggling to even think about. Great job. The minor league card is pretty cool. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with the guys above, card number 1000 needs to be something really big. Love those late 1990s and early 2000s cards. I think the two Bowman Chromes are probably my favorite. Those 1998s with the maps in the background were sharp. Great adds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go get something big for card 1,000!
    Congrats on getting to single digits and I can't wait to see what card you get which hits the millennium mark.

    ReplyDelete