Sunday, August 16, 2020

2020 Chrome without stalking a card distributor

This past week, I was able to open two hanger boxes of 2020 Topps Chrome.

Contrary to what Napkin Doon tells you, I didn't bring a folding chair to Target and wait for the card distributor. I'm pretty sure we don't even have card distributors here any more. I ordered a few of these hanger boxes on Amazon while the price was still reasonable.

And while it is not my preference to go that route, I don't see any other alternative if I want to open a few packs. So it's been easier for the cards to show up at my door.

I'll give a spoiler alert now: I did not pull a Luis Robert RC. I can feel everyone exiting this post now.

Each hanger box came with 5 packs (4 cards each...which I will never get used to), as well as a pack of Topps Update Preview. I've seen some others have different Topps brand previews, like Gallery and Fire. Mine were Update...so basically more flagship-looking cards.

The boxes themselves were ok, with a a few solid pulls and definitely enough to make my money back if I so choose. So here's a bit of a show and tell. 

I only got one Yankee throughout the two boxes: Gleyber Torres. Good one to get. If anyone has a Gerrit Cole or Aaron Judge for trade, let me know.
The rarest card I got was a green refractor of a Red Sox, of course. These actually fall 1:349, so a pretty good pull and numbered to 99. This is currently on eBay with little to no interest. I'm not sure if that's because the Red Sox stink or because no one really cares for JD Martinez or because it's not a RC.
I did snag four other refractors (1:3) and a prism refractor (1:6). 
While no Luis Robert, I did get a few solid rookies, like Bo Bichette (who may end up being better than Luis Robert), and Dustin May, who has lost his lead of best ginger in baseball to Clint Frazier these past few days. The race is still wide open though.
And while I'm very sick of all the reprints, they do tend to look nice when they are refractory.
My Future Star (1:12) was also a good one, and indeed I agree that he is a future star.
I'm not really sure I get the purpose of Update Previews since most of these guys already have flagship RCs. But hey, different photos? They came 5 to a pack and is an 8 card set, and the only one I didn't get across the two boxes was Jesus Luzardo, which I already ordered on eBay to complete the mini set. Nice to have dupes of Yordan and Lewis, which I'll probably throw on eBay as well to recoup some of the cost of the boxes.
So there it is. No fancy Luis Robert, but still some nice cards. I uploaded most of the common base to TCDB, but if you're looking for a team or player, let me know and I'll see if I have it for you.

3 comments:

  1. The Gleyber seems the best card you got; but I'm thinking it's unusual to get just one Yankees between two boxes. It's clear your boxes had been searched by the seller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Keston refractor! I don't think I'd normally buy any of this stuff if this were a normal year. But since it's so difficult to find in the wild, if I find any, I'll probably buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing off the cards! I hope things normalize soon so us retail shoppers can find some packs again.

    ReplyDelete