Friday, February 5, 2021

So many 2020 Tino cards

This card marks my 31st Tino Martinez card released in 2020. That seems like a lot for a guy who was a minor to semi-star for a short time and retired 15 seasons ago.
Although I suppose it's not that many, considering Trading Card Database lists 145 Tino cards for 2020. Granted, many of them are parallels, but still. That's a lot of cards.

The card above is from Topps' on-demand yearly mini set. That's a set and card size I have little to no interest in, except when my favorite player of all time is featured. So of course I'll pick up the Tinos that are out there. 

This is one of the rarer ones, as it's the pink numbered to /25. It's always fun to pick up ones like this before the base card. Extra bonus is that it's PINK for the SAVESECONDBASE contest this October.

The 2020 Tino I'm most excited about that I don't have yet is the blue Chrome Sapphire. They are toiling around at $5-$6 on eBay, but I do hope they come down just a touch before I decide to smash that BIN button.

I guess it's a double-edged sword. If it weren't for Tino in 2020 products, I'm not sure what would excite me about 2020 cards given the current state of, you know, not being able to buy cards anywhere. I do pick up Gleyber and Judge and Cole cards, but those are mostly through TCDB trades and not purchases. I rarely purchase non-Tino cards.

As of now, Tino has a few cards set to be in 2021 Topps flagship, but they are all autographs as far as I can see, which leads me to believe Topps has a few sticker sheets of his autograph left and need to throw them on something. I'd be surprised if they are on-card, but we shall see.

Regardless, 31 new cards to my Tino collection from 2020. That's pretty nuts.

6 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw pink, I immediately thought of Collecting Cutch. Best of luck on acquiring as many 2020 and 2021 Tinos as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a lot of cards for one player...glad I don't have pc's to chase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be happy Tino isn't a current major leaguer! The number would probably be north of 4 digits. That's a lot of cards to chase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The worst part about using so many retired players in sets is that Topps is basically saying the current players are not good enough to worry about trying to collect. Think back to 80s and 90s sets, especially flagship sets. They weren't filled with guys from the past, they show the then modern players as the stars they were. I appreciate players from the past as much as anyone, but there are tons of cards already out there of guys like Tino. Card companies need to start focusing on the current crop of players beyond just the elite tier and the hot rookies of the moment or else the product will be unsustainable.

    ReplyDelete