Friday, January 11, 2013

New Rizzuto additions: 1953 and 1961 Topps



I’ve made it an unofficial goal to pick up as many vintage Phil Rizzuto cards as I can. I’ve been able to acquire his 1954, ’55, and ’56 Topps base cards, as well as his 1995 Bowman. I’ve got a bat relic, and one TTM autograph. As you can imagine, the remaining original issue cards are going to be a bit more of a challenge. There are the 1951, ’52, and ’53 Topps , and the 1961 Topps MVP card, as well as some older Bowman issues and a few oddballs.

I recently crossed two more off the list. I was able to find a very affordable (and decently conditioned) 1953 Topps on eBay. The corners are expectedly fuzzy, and there is a crease across his forehead. Given the condition of some of my other Rizzuto cards, this really isn’t too bad. The color is good. The scan is a little off since the cards was sent in a screw case, and I was too lazy to remove it. I love 1953 Topps, so this card is a big win for me.


I also nabbed a 1961 Topps MVP card. It’s pretty off-centered, which is why I managed to score it for a few bucks shipped. 


I’m enjoying going after these older cards, and I love adding them to my collection. I’ll really enjoy passing them down to my son one day.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice pick ups! I am a huge fan of the 53 design and Phil's card is nice looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was a Yankees fan (perish the thought), I'd be trying for Rizzuto cards, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pickups! I'm still on the hunt for my first real vintage card of the "Scooter".

    ReplyDelete