Friday, August 12, 2011

Fleer? 10 cents? Brilliant!


Remember the Guinness guys? Brilliant! That was a good marketing campaign. Memorable, which is all you can ask for really. Whatever happened to those guys? I haven't seen them in a while. I'm not even sure if Guinness has a campaign in the market place right now. You've got the Dos Equis guy, the Miller Lite unmanly dorks, the Heiny guy walking through that party, the Coors Light train on a crowded broken down subway. I'm sure there are more, but I can't recall a current Guinness spot.

Oh yeah, baseball cards. Well I picked up a lot of four 1999 Fleer Brilliants. I had never owned any of these cards, but I couldn't pass up bidding on this auction. The bid started (and ended) and $.01 + $.09 shipping, so I was out a whole dime. The lot consisted of four cards - Jeter, Paul O'Neill, Bruce Chen, and a David Wells blue parallel. The cards are very nice - thick and the coating is very smooth. They have a mirror-like effect which made them hard to scan. In a way, they were Fleer's version of Bowman Platinum.



Here are the Wells and Chen. If any of my Blue Jays or Braves friends want the cards below, let me know. For as sucky as Bruce Chen is, I'm impressed he's still pitching. Just goes to show if you are a lefty and can throw strikes, there is always a place for you.


1 comment: