Thursday, August 11, 2011

New goal: 1968 Topps Game Set


I don't have the patience (or funds) to build a full Topps vintage set, as much as I'd love to. Perhaps one day when I have more time and space. I did want to add something to my collection that was both fun to track down as well as attainable. I have decided to pursue the 33-card 1968 Topps Game set.

This set consists of 33 cards that were inserts in the third series of 1968 Topps. I was never a huge fan of baseball card gamse - never got into Topps Attax or MLB Showdown or Donruss Top of the Order, amongst others. I just think these little cards are cool, have a some big-time HOFers in it (including Mantle), and will be a fun set to own.

I currently have one of these cards, so Mr. Joe Torre, thanks for starting off this set! Let me know if you have any others to trade. I'm not going to be picky on condition.

1. Matty Alou 
2. Mickey Mantle 
3. Carl Yastrzemski 
4. Hank Aaron 
5. Harmon Killebrew 
6. Roberto Clemente
7. Frank Robinson 
8. Willie Mays 
9. Brooks Robinson 
10. Tommy Davis 
11. Bill Freehan 
12. Claude Osteen 
13. Gary Peters 
14. Jim Lonborg 
15. Steve Hargan 
16. Dean Chance 
17. Mike McCormick 
18. Tim McCarver 
19. Ron Santo 
20. Tony Gonzalez 
21. Frank Howard 
22. George Scott 
23. Richie Allen 
24. Jim Wynn 
25. Gene Alley 
26. Rick Monday 
27. Al Kaline 
28. Rusty Staub 
29. Rod Carew 
30. Pete Rose 
31. Joe Torre 
32. Orlando Cepeda 
33. Jim Fregosi 

7 comments:

  1. Cool stuff, good luck! Do you have any ideas about the rules or something? Seems like it would have been hard to play if there were only 33 cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was based on this set that I have 1967 cards with the same game phrases written on them. I guess I was making my own game cards. How should I have known cards would be worth something 44 years later?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! That should be fun to Chase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, man! Love those game-play sets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few of them that you need, so email me and let me know. I'm looking for 1961 Topps cards that I don't have for my set. LMK @ yanks1996wsc@gmail.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you really aren't concerned about condition, I have the Killebrew that is in decent shape, but has the number 22 written on the front in red ink. If you want it let me know and it's yours free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Frank Robinson Triple No. 7, and Mike McCormick strike out No.17 if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete