Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Congrats to A-Rod!


I can't imagine many will read this due to the title of the post and the player mentioned, but a congratulations goes out to Alex Rodriguez for tying Lou Gehrig for the career grand slams record. Each went deep with bases loaded 23 times, two more than Manny Ramirez.

The timing of the HR was much needed as well. With the Yanks down 4-0 after mustering nothing off of Mike Minor, Jonny Venters was brought in. He promptly loaded the bases, and Alex hit a 3-2 laser beam to left. The ball couldn't have been much more than 20 feet high the entire way and snuck over the fence into a Yankee fan's hat.

Congrats to A-Rod on this historic blast, and I look forward to seeing #24.

3 comments:

  1. I admit I rolled my eyes when he came up with the bases loaded but he shut me up! I'll take the win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty significant he tied that record. I've always been surprised at how well it's stood up over time - it isn't one of those records like Joe D's hit streak or Cy Young's wins that you assume isn't reachable. I bet if you asked Gehrig which one would last longest, his grand slams or his streak, he'd have certainly said the streak. But he had this record alone for nearly 80 years - until yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew there was a reason I was watching the Red Sox and Marlins last night.

    ReplyDelete