Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tino Tuesday #44: 1998 Donruss Longball Leaders #3


For the 44th installment of Tino Tuesdays, I wanted to really highlight the #44. The #44 for me not only means "Reggie Jackson" and "Jim Brown," but it also is a number that represents Tino Martinez. In 1997, he hit a career high 44 HRs. That season was amazing to watch on a personal level, and it really solidified him as my favorite player.

As a result of 44 HRs, Tino really found his way into a lot of 1998 insert sets. This one was one of my favorites. It's from 1998 Donruss Longball leaders. The card is individually #'d to 5000. The set includes guys like Griffey, Thomas, Bonds, and Piazza, so it was cool to see Tino recognized in this group.

The design is nice. The card is a textured foil, and the scale on the right hand side shows how many HRs the player hit the previous year. I love how 61 was still the magic number of course. I miss that being the magic number.

It's not my most rare or valuable Tino, but it's certainly one of my favorites and a mainstay in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment