Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A clueless vintage pickup

I saw this interesting old Vic Raschi Yankees card on ebay for $.99 plus $2 shipping. I put in the minimum bid, forgot about it, and ended up winning it.

I had no idea what it was, and was expecting something near the size of a normal card. I got something bigger!

See, this is from 1947-66 Exhibits, a set that spanned about 20 years and over 300 cards. Each one is about post-card sized at 3-3/8" by 5-3/8". Every year, a new set was put out...unnumbered, same black and white design. Pretty cool. It was the set that just kept on going. Since it spanned so long, some players appear more than once.

The card is in decent condition, although there is some writing on the back. That's ok with me.

So I was an idiot and bid on something I had no clue about, but in the end, it ended up being pretty damn cool.


5 comments:

  1. Great pick up... This looks to be early 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid they sold these out of vending machines. I'd get them on the boardwalk at Coney Island and Asbury Park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool old postcard... sometime I should see if any Mets made it into the set at the end.

    ReplyDelete