Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Congrats, Randall.

Congrats to former Yankee Randy Johnson for his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Also, congrats to Pedro, Smoltz, and Biggio. All well-deserved.

Randy's Yankees career was pretty underwhelming, mostly due to his poor playoffs performance. However, his first year in NY was actually pretty good. He went 17-8 with a 3.79 ERA and 211 SOs. Not bad for a 41-year-old.

I didn't like Pedro because of his Red Sox years, but it was because he was so damn good. Really, he was. It was always scary to face him. That night he 1-hit the yanks (Chili Davis HR) was one of the best pitching performances I've ever seen.

Smoltz was damn good, and very deserving. I do have to say that his bullpen stint being an important factor to his induction was a bit silly. Many starters could be dominant relievers. I'm pretty sure Felix or Kershaw could save 50 games if put into the closer role. Regardless, I refuse to argue with his overall ability as a pitcher during the era in which he played. He is worthy.

Biggio was a cool little dude. Yeah, many of his stats are the result of longevity and compilation, but he played C, 2B, and OF for the same club for a long time. He was a gamer, and I'm happy to see him in there. There's always room for the good guys. I hope his buddy Bagwell joins him one day.

Most of all, I look forward to adding cards of these guys into my son's HOF binder.

No comments:

Post a Comment