Monday, January 5, 2015

My Wallet Card

The Baseball Card Breakdown Wallet Card has been a lot of fun so far.

I was torn over what to choose as my wallet card. Ty Hensley is my main PC guy right now (for current players). I could have easily chucked a Bowman Draft card of him in my wallet. I thought about a Mattingly from the 1980s to see how that cardboard would wear over the course of the year.

But in the end, I appropriately went with the following card:
Tino Martinez 1997 Collector's Choice #181.

Why? A few reasons:

1. Collector's Choice was my favorite brand growing up. As a kid, it meant a lot to me,. Affordable packs, inserts, and You Crash The Game. That was the best.
2. 1997 was Tino's career year, hitting 44 HRs and driving in 141 RBIs.
3. I have to keep a Tino card on me in case I ever bump into him again on my way to work.

I thought about a mini card since I only cary a front pocket wallet/money clip (hey, I work in NYC...wallets go in the front pocket. Rule #1). Although I gotta say, it holds just what I need and I don't sit on it or wear out the back pocket of my jeans. No sir, I don't miss the Costanza. I went front pocket in 2009 and will never go back...pocket.
Tangent aside, here is the card going into the wallet. It didn't fit in the two pockets on the reverse side of the clip, so it's behind the massive amounts of cash you can see in this photo. I anticipate it staying there for the most part, as it fits pretty nicely back behind the clip. And yes, as you can see by that thick wad of cash, I'm very rich. I actually only carry that much when I'm headed to the strip club after work. So that's where I am while you read this post. (kidding, kidding...maybe)

I did already prick my finger on a sharp corner of the card. I don't anticipate that happening after a few weeks of wear and tear.

Anyways, let's take a photo of this guy our and about on my morning commute. I'm not sure how often I'll photograph it or how frequently I'll use NYC as a backdrop, but let's start it off right here and we'll see where this adventure takes us. This is the Trump International Hotel and Tower. I don't work there, but it's the first thing I see when I emerge from the subway before walking a few more blocks north to work. Sorry for the blurriness of the Tino. The wind was insane today. Almost blew the Tino out of my hand.
 
Gavin, thanks for the fun idea. Let's do it.

4 comments:

  1. I'll shout so I can be heard above the thumping strip club music:

    I TOOK MY WALLET CARD FOR A WALK TODAY. IT BLEW OUT OF MY HAND AND I HAD TO CHASE IT DOWN THE SIDEWALK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the inevitable photo of Tino stuffed into a stripper's g-string!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have a lot of good NYC backdrops for Tino.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff! Keep it coming.

    I, too, converted 2 or 3 years ago to a minimal front-pocket wallet instead of a big back-pocket one.

    ReplyDelete