Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Card bloggers, keeping the USPS in business

Ok, so I don't know if it's solely card bloggers keeping the USPS in business, but damn, we're helping, right?

I especially can't believe when other bloggers send me flat-rate boxes, but it happens. In this instance, John from Johnny's Trading Spot dropped a nice bomb on me, and it was chock full of cards that felt like they were straight from my '90s childhood. Four stacks worth!
It was an absolute blast to go through. I could have scanned like 100 cards, but here are some of my favorites.

There aren't many cooler sets than HolyGRFX. Man, it's easy to miss Upper Deck sometimes.
These cards are more trippy than they scan. I always liked the name Fleer "Brilliants." It felt appropriate for these cards.
The '90s had something for everyone. Everybody complains about too many sets, and I get it, but there was a set to satisfy everyone's tastes. Some people like cards. And comics. Is there any better mixture than this? It's like Coney was the Terminator.
There may never be a better card that captures El Dugue's unique windup.
I never noticed the Tino cameo in this Mike Stanley! Safe or out?
Mike Lowell signed this card for me TTM way back in the 1990s. I don't think I ever replaced it in non-signed form. Now I have one!
I don't just miss Upper Deck. I miss Pacific too. Seriously!
Here are a couple of more from some random sets that I enjoy.
I show the back of Nick Johnson's card to show what a beast he was. Being a Tino fan, I hated Nick Johnson lurking. But holy crap, his minor league numbers were INSANE. I can't imagine a prospect with this numbers right now. I just didn't understand at the time how good of a hitter Johnson was.
I could have gone on and on, but you get it. John, thank you so much!



6 comments:

  1. Johnson looked like the second coming of Mark Grace, and I think if not for injuries he could have had a really good MLB career. He had a couple nice years for Nationals teams nobody watched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked them, I have a surprise coming at you real soon.

    You need to research that game with Tino at the plate to see if he was safe or out, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. always love seeing 90s and early 2000s cards, real nostalgic.
    I know i have that Davvid Justice EX card somewhere

    side note, when i was a kid Nick Johnson signed my baseball glove at a Cardinals game when he played for the Expos, as well as Roy Corcoron, Luis Alaya, and Livan Hernandez. The cardianls wouldnt sign anything

    ReplyDelete
  4. always love seeing 90s and early 2000s cards, real nostalgic.
    I know i have that Davvid Justice EX card somewhere

    side note, when i was a kid Nick Johnson signed my baseball glove at a Cardinals game when he played for the Expos, as well as Roy Corcoron, Luis Alaya, and Livan Hernandez. The cardianls wouldnt sign anything

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johns hit me up a couple of times with flat rate boxes. NIce variety of Yanks

    ReplyDelete