Sunday, March 8, 2020

An Epix pickup

I've always been a big fan of 1998 Pinnacle Epix.

It was a really cool set. Several Pinnacle products featured cards from the set. For example, you could find these cards in Pinnacle, Score, Zenith, etc. Although the cards looked the same, they could only be fund in that particular set. Collectors would lose their shit right now if Topps tried something like this. Topps also isn't organized to do something like this. Or they'd ruin it and make SP and SSPs only available in certain products. Don't try it, Topps.

I first came across this set because I pulled a Mark McGwire from Score int he summer of 1998.
I remember exactly where I was. My mom dropped me at CVS to look at cards while she ran another errand, and then was going to pick me up on the way home. Imagine that? Dropping her kid at CVS to look at cards for a few minutes.

Anyways, I opened a few packs while waiting for her outside, the McGwire was in a pack of $.99 Score. Nothing fancy ever came from Score, so I was shocked. These fell at 1:61, and mind you it was in the middle of the 1998 HR chase, so this card was booking in the $60 range by the almighty source of card values, Beckett.

That's the only one I ever saw, and still keep it in my collection.

Last week, while feeling nostalgic, I started looking at a few of these, and thought I should own a Yankee. So I bought this for a few bucks, as Jeter is the only Yankee in the set. This particular one would have come from Zenith, I believe.
It's a great looking set, and the memory the comes with it makes it even more special.


5 comments:

  1. Always been fascinated by the Epix inserts of the 90's. I think a lot has to do with the fact that the colors and levels were confusing. Definitely cool looking though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I toyed with the idea of collecting this set, but I didn’t know it had so many different levels/variations/colors. Beautiful cards for sure, still have several in my collection as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These should inspire a modern day version where there are 100 different variants and they're all numbered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure how I missed these. Pinnacle was one of my favorite 90s products. Topps is likely one release year away from trying this. They're running low on gimmicks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a couple of guys that I'd like to get from this set, but they are so expensive!!!!

    ReplyDelete