Monday, March 22, 2021

Cards attached to cards

Recently, Kerry at Cards on Cards held another free card event. 

I feel like every time he does, there's something there that I want. Usually it's a Yankee. But in this instance, it was something else that caught my eye:
Look at that! A full, unperforated set of 1990 McDonald's SI for Kids Michael Jordan cards. I remember seeing these in my friends collection as a kid and being envious of them. The fact that Kerry had two full sets up for grabs was incredibly generous, and I couldn't claim one of them fast enough.

I've been on a bit of an SI for Kids kick lately, as I recently bought and older Jordan and Shaq, as well as a Nastia Liuken and Shawn Johnson. Since around 2014 or so, I've been receiving SI for Kids with unused airline miles. That actually has led to some really great first cards in my collection of people like Collin Morinkawa, Dustin Johnson, Simone Biles, and more. It also led to a recent $700 sale of a Naomi Osaka card from the magazine. Crazy!

However, the Jordans are for me to keep. MJ cards continue to be sought after, and something like this will always have a place in my collection.

Kerry didn't just send the Jordans. He sent me a big brick of Yanks. Along with the Jordans, this was stuck between two pieces of cardboard:
That is cool! It's a box loader card from 2020 Stadium Club. Are we bringing back Fleer Extra Bases?!

There was also a bunch of Yankees Turkey Reds, as well as Allen & Ginter cards, whose set designs are now nearly impossible to tell year over year.
I was happy to find this Jeter from 2020 Topps, as well as a 2021 insert of Gleyber Torres.
Thanks for the awesome package, Kerry!

5 comments:

  1. Some nice Gleybers here, with the widescreen card and the '67 Topps design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That long, box loader Torres card looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait. $700 for a Naomi Osaka SI for Kids card? Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. It's considered her rookie card and after she won Aussie Open it shot up (as it did after she won last US Open). While I think she's incredible, I had no problem moving it for that amount.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of Naomi Osaka before, but at this point I'm no longer surprised by what anything sells for, so good on you for striking while the iron is hot.

    ReplyDelete