Thursday, March 4, 2021

Napkin Doon stops by for an update

When I first started blogging in 2011, Napkin Doon was one of my first blogging friends. We swapped cards a few times, all while enjoying very friendly banter.

Napkin Doon's blog was fun to follow, between the in-person auctions held at his local card shop, his running of the BIG FUN GAME, and his trials and tribulations to find the best hot dog in his area...something I think his insides are still dealing with.

On this date in 2014, Napkin Doon made his final goodbye post, written here.

Since then, we remain friends and often trade card-related stories. On the anniversary of his last blog post, I decided to do a quick catch up with the legend himself. Enjoy!

The Lost Collector: It's been 7 years since you hung up your blogging keyboard. Ever thought of a comeback?  
 

Napkin Doon: 7 years!  Wow, I didn’t realize it had been that long.   Nah, I just honestly don’t have anything in the well.   I am working on a writing project on my own relating to cards, and I’ve thought about using that as blog material, but that’s all I would have so my content would be limited.  

 

TLC: I know you are still collecting these days. What are you focused on?
 
ND: I’ve been pretty good about sticking to my Topps base run project (complete base cards of HOF players and favorites), and my 1952 Bowman album.   I’m about ½ done with Bowman and have made a goal to finish it by end of 2023.   The Mantle and Mays cards are going to be rough though.   The Topps base run has been my favorite project by far, because I can knock off some great players without spending too much money, but it’s also fun to chip away at the big names.  I had made Hank Aaron a priority this year, but his death and the overall card craziness has made that a tougher go.  Some recent completions: Ozzie Smith, Fred Lynn, Toby Harrah, Dave Parker:  
 
TLC: Show us a recent pickup!
 
ND: I don’t spend what I consider big money on cards.   However, I had a 2011 Trout Rookie I was ok parting with, and basically traded it for a 1955 Roberto Clemente Rookie.    It’s graded by a Canadian company that I’ve never heard of, but that’s fine with me.  It kept the cost lower than a PSA version I’m sure.   I’m so happy to own this card!    I still have a ways to go to finish the Topps Clemente base run, but this was a big step for me.

I also just bought a T206 Kid Elberfeld but it hadn’t arrived in time to send a picture.

 

TLC: What big card pickup is next on your radar?

ND: I really want a T206 Hughie Jennings with his hands in the air (look it up, it’s cool).   I want to get all 4 of the “Big 4” Baltimore Orioles from the late 1800s eventually and he’s next.
 
Or I’d like to get a Sandy Koufax rookie.   I debated between getting a Clemente Rookie, or getting both a Bob Gibson & Koufax rookie with my Trout money but went for the Clemente.  Unfortunately Gibson passed away after that and his cards got more expensive, and Koufax cards got way more expensive along with all the other cards that have shot up in value over the past year.   As I said, I don’t spend big money on cards, so I’ll have to find some stuff to sell to pay these higher priced goals.
 
In a little more manageable price range, my next goals are a Bob Uecker rookie and/or a Mike Schmidt rookie.  VGEX condition is all I need.
 
TLC: What product are you most excited about in 2021?

ND: Not to sound negative or aloof, but nothing really.    With my focus on the past instead of the present or future, I don’t find myself looking to see what releases are on the horizon like I used to.   Plus, the Rangers stink and there is no one I’m all that psyched about collecting.  There are a couple of former Razorbacks that have started getting Bowman cards that I’ll probably try to pick up, but other than that, meh.   Truly, I had started getting away from wax purchases (not completely but mostly) before the card craze hit again, so not being able to readily buy cards in stores these days hasn’t bothered me as much as it would have a few years ago.  
 
TLC: Thoughts on Project 70?

ND: I like it! I liked Project 2020 too.  Mostly I just enjoy seeing what gets released each day, knowing I won’t buy many at all (unlike Project 2020).  I enjoy checking in with you, Lost Collector, each day to see what you think of the releases even though you don’t buy many either.   Our tastes are different, so I like hearing what you find appealing even when you are wrong.  
 
I will buy the Ermsy cards as they come out because they are awesome.  With 70 artists, Ermsy’s cards will release about 1 per month, so I can handle that.   I also look forward to seeing what an artist named Ron English puts out.  His work looks pretty wild so I hope he makes some cool cards.  If his are weird enough, I’ll probably get his set too.   
 

TLC: What color crocs do you wear when waiting in line at a retail store for cards? 

 

ND: I go to my local Walmart barefoot, thank you very much.  Crocs are for rich pretty boys.
 
TLC: Give us some parting words of wisdom:

ND: Chocolate chip cookies and beer go surprisingly well together, and if you can find it, try Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey.  It’s unbelievably good.   Also, be nice to each other and don’t make fun of how or what other people collect.     Everyone laughed at me back in 2011 when I bought a lot of 200 Mike Trout updates off eBay for $2 each, but who’s laughing now?   That didn’t really happen but close your eyes and imagine if it did.   Now open your eyes.  Were you laughing at me when your eyes were closed?  Think about it.  
There you have it. Good stuff, Nap. Thanks for stopping by, and maybe we'll do this over a peanut butter whiskey next time!

15 comments:

  1. Very cool. While I came along after his time, I have heard the blog many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question I've always had wasn't asked:

    Why did Mrs. Doon name her son Napkin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my culture, Napkin is a very sophisticated name, and it went well with my older brother Paper Towel.

      Delete
  3. Cookies and beer? Peanut Butter and whiskey, no thanks (promise I'm not laughing NAP) I'll stick my Makers and coke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To clarify, it's peanut butter flavored whiskey, and it's awesome. Trust me.

      Delete
  4. Great interview. Can I open my eyes now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you? Or did I make you think too deeply to ever open your eyes again?

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment section is like the Greatest Hits of the early 2010s of Blogging. Next thing you know, MTV will be playing music again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun blog post and nice rapport that you have with Napkin Doon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must have came after his time or just never found him. The fact that Wes is a big fan has me wanting to see some new posts

    ReplyDelete