Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Year 2

This is a straight up filler post, but trying to clean out my scanned folder just a touch. 

I'm really looking forward to a second - and full - season of Gerrit Cole in Pinstripes. He was excellent last year, and it's been a long time since the Yankees had a pitcher who I considered it "can't miss" TV. 

It would be cool to see him win a Cy Young, although I'm not optimistic that'll happen. Too much has to go right. However, if healthy he'll be in the thick of it.

My Cole collection is small, but growing. I'm not going after his cards with any sort of dedication, other than mostly adding his Yankees base cards on TCDB and trading for them when the opportunity arrives. I still do want his 2021 Topps photo variation, shown from above.

One admittedly weird card I did buy was a relic from 2020 Diamind Kings. While he's listed as playing for New York, the relics are obviously from his previous stops. I am uncertain if they are actually from the Pirates as Astros, as both of those clubs use these colors in some fashion.
It's a bit of a odd relic, with the swatch windows in the four corners of the frame. I bought it some time ago, so I must've gotten a good deal or won an auction with a low bid.

Regardless, it's a Gerrit Cole card. And a nice reminder that he's a Yankee...even if this card doesn't scream it.

4 comments:

  1. nice relic. really like the non white swatches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upper Deck used to do that quite a bit. I have Upper Deck relics of David Cone and Gaylord Perry where the player is shown with one team, but the back explicitly (and correctly) notes that the relic was worn with a different team. The Cone shows him as a Met, but it's a Yankee pinstripe and the back says it was worn in a Yankee game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was collecting Cole big time back when he was with the Pirates. I'll never root for the Yankees as a team, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cole have a great season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a weird card. I've hit your blog like five times waiting for it to be replaced with a new post. I find the thing weirdly unnerving. I'm going away now to eat Girl Scout Cookies.

    ReplyDelete