Friday, March 19, 2021

Let the Madness begin

One of the best times of the year for sports is upon us: March Madness. This officially kicks off a time in the sporting calendar where we'll get three weeks of exciting college hoops, followed by Opening Day, and then the Masters. Sign me up. All that's missing is the mid-April start of the NBA Playoffs, which will happen in May this year.

My school, Syracuse, plays tonight against San Diego State. After a fairly mediocre season, I wasn't so sure they'd make the Tournament, so I was happy with an 11-seed at large bid. They could lose by 20 points tonight, or go on a Final Four run, and neither outcome would surprise me. 

Over the past few weeks, I've acquired a few small card collections, and some of the cards in the boxes consisted of early '90s basketball. Outside of plucking out the Jordans, Shaqs, and other Hall of Famers, I also set aside the Syracuse guys. I have nice stack going, but no clear direction. I don't know if I want to have a "Syracuse Binder" or display them in a frame or something. Regardless, I have been adding to that stack.

My next Syracuse card pickup will hopefully be a Carmelo Anthony autograph. I'm on the hunt for one.

In the latest boxes of cards that I went through, here are a few who left their mark on Syracuse and played at the next level:
Good luck to your respective schools if they are dancing this week. Who are you pulling for?

6 comments:

  1. Two reasons I am not as excited about the tourney this year.

    1) Kentucky and Duke are not in it. Love them or hate them, college basketball is not as good without them. I have always said that the two best things that can happen in hoops is a Kentucky win followed closely by a Duke loss.

    2) The tourney has been on a Thursday-Sunday schedule. Why'd they change it to the new Friday-Monday format? I used to love "getting sick" on a Thursday morning and taking a four day weekend. It's easy to take off a Thursday and Friday for sickness. It's a lot harder to take off a Friday and a Monday.

    That being said, if you do decide to start a Syracuse collection, I'm sure I can get you a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get into this. Never have. Am I normal or abnormal? Don't answer that. Or, if you do, lie to me. Please. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I don't root for college sports teams.

      Delete
  3. A lot of people say that Derrick Coleman was a disappointment, but I always liked him (and do collect him too btw), and thought that he had a pretty solid career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad that there aren't any Bay Area teams participating in this year's tournament. My niece attends TCU, but they're not in it either. That means I'm rooting for Syracuse too. One of my former students is graduating from there in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like everyone else in the world, I'm pulling for the Arkansas Razorbacks, the most awesome college team of all time in any sport. I expect at some point, the other team's cheating will overcome us and we will lose, but I know we will all overcome it and move on with our lives.

    ReplyDelete