Monday, March 15, 2021

Too big, too small, just right

One of the most fun parts of the Trading Card Database is that I often trade for Tino Martinez that I have never seen. If it's on my wantlist, I'll trade pretty much anything I have listed. However, there are instances where I've been surprised at what comes back.
For example, I was not expecting this card to be oversized when it arrived. It was simply listed as a 1998 Upper Deck New York Yankees All-Star #460 with a print run of 10,000. No clue, but I didn't have it. So when this showed up, I was caught off guard.
Here's how it compares to a regular card. When pictured, as it was on TCDB, it looked like a standard card. But it's not. It's quite large. In the end, I felt bad for requesting this card and the person having to use a larger than usual envelope. It wasn't my intention at all. 

I'm not a fan of minis, but in this instance I at least knew what I was getting in this trade. I would not be caught off guard with the annoyingness of the size on this trade, as I was well-prepared for it.
Ahhhh, that's better. The last Tino that came in via TCDB was jussssst right.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like back in the 90's... Upper Deck and Topps would create oversized cards from time to time. It wasn't a Yankees card... but I vaguely remember getting a jumbo UD hockey card from a specially marked blister pack from that era. Maybe that's how Upper Deck distributed these Yankees jumbos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That larger card is a weird size. It's not quite box topper big, so maybe Fuji's on the right path with his guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No reason to feel bad; the guy listed the card for trade so would have known he would have had to ship it out in a larger envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Bo! No need to feel bad. Aren't the sizes of cards listed on TCDB somewhere? I thought they were. Nice cards overall!

    ReplyDelete