Sunday, February 27, 2011

TTM Success: 4 more on Saturday, including a HOF'er

After 5 TTM successes on Friday, I figured my mailbox would be a little lonelier on Saturday. I was right, but not by much. I had four plain white envelopes full of autograph goodness. Three were for my Topps Yankees project, and one of a HOF'er I couldn't pass up.

Lets start with the only person to answer the questions in my letter. Former Yankees catcher and college football star Jake Gibbs signed my 1969 and 1971 Topps cards. The 1969 is for my project, and I had a poor conditioned 1971 laying around, so I took a shot with that too. I asked Jake:

1. What is your best Yankee memory? Just playing in Yankee Stadium.
2. Who was your favorite teammate? Tom Tresh and Mel Stottlemyre
3. Do you ever wish you stuck with football? No
4. Do you like Ole Miss' new mascot? Not really. (haha!)


Next up are two more of the project. Mike Hegan signed my 1968 Topps. I did already have Bill Monbouquette for 1968, but I'll probably use the Hegan because it's signed in nicer Sharpie as opposed to ball point pen. Lefty reliever Michael Dunn signed my 2010 Topps, so that's my most recent until I can get a 2011 Topps signed. I sent this to Dunn at Marlins Spring Training, so its my first ST success this year. Finally, the HOF'er - Mr. Bobby Doerr. Anyone who is semi-serious about TTM knows that Doerr is the best signer out there. I didn't want to miss out on the chance to own this signature, so I picked up one card (most people send several) and sent it along, and he didn't disappoint. It's a good day any time you can add the autograph of a Hall of Famer to your collection.


That's it! I still have a few trades and purchases to review, so keep checking back! Enjoy the Oscars tonight. Or, if you're like me, enjoy the Knicks-Heat game!

No comments:

Post a Comment