Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Customs count!

Do any of you player collectors count custom cards in your "official" total of a player? I sure as heck do.

I've received a few customs over the years, and I always make sure to include them in my number of unique cards for a player. It's part of the reason why my numbers will ever match on TCDB, but I don't care about that. The custom cards mean a whole lot to me. Whereas Topps puts no thought into many of their cards, the same can't be said for guys like Gavin of Baseball Card Breakdown, who makes awesome customs.

On Monday, I got a sopping wet envelope from him, but luckily the cards were perfect. Gavin told me I sent him some cards like a year ago and wanted to hit me back. I suppose that's true? I can't remember what I sent.

There were a few Tinos and such, but what really stood out - and this should come as no surprise - are the awesome customs Gavin made.

I loved them all, but I think my favorite is the Ty Hensley from his current team, the Utica Unicorns. Ty is battling his way back to affiliate ball (and deserves a shot...former first rounder with upper/mid 90s heat...someone take a shot!), and he's clearly working hard to get there. To my knowledge, the Unicorns did not issue any team sets while Ty was there.
The card looks phenomenal, and as he always does, Gavin spends time on the card backs. While I wish I was better about enjoying card backs in general, I always make sure to check out the ones Gavin does. Sometimes I forget Ty's name is "Michael."
Also, as I told Gavin, when I shared this card on Twitter, Ty himself liked the Tweet.

I LOVED this custom in the look of 1987 Donruss. Tino in his Team USA gear, reminiscent of Panini Stars and Stripes. Tino led Team USA to a gold in the '88 games. Look at the metal Easton bat! That's the best part of the photo to me.
As as expected, a perfect replica of the back!
Lastly, such a cool card. Mattingly in the look of a 1973 Kellogg's. I wouldn't put it past Gavin to one day figure out how to use the same 3D effect on his cards. I love this old shot of Mattingly. Is he wearing a shirsey?!
Gavin made sure to do a very detailed back. I didn't know Donnie Baseball was ambidextrous. Go figure. I think he made the right call being a lefty.
Truly special work, Gavin. Thank you!


11 comments:

  1. Neat cards. That rain Monday was NO JOKE! I don't include the customs I've received in my total counts. I don't even store them with the players! Rather, I store them with my vintage/valuable cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would if I had any. I have a Michigan and White Sox deck of cards where each card has a player and I put them with my cards and count them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a lot of customs, but certainly the ones I have count (or, well, would if I actually counted them). I do have a few Baseball Card Breakdown customs which are certainly more important to me than some of my other cards of those players. And I recently received some from Topps Cards That Never Were...the Willie Mays, for example, is right there in my Mays binder with the rest of the great Say Hey Kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't count customs towards official numbers, but enjoy the heck out of any custom cards. Those cards Gavin did are phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny team names is something the minors do better than the majors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really count them... but I do treasure them. I keep all of the customs I've been sent by Gavin and other bloggers in a special binder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you like! Happy to take you off my "people I owe cards to" list. The Ty is based on a couple 1980 TCMA designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. I knew seen the red design but couldn't place it.

      Delete
  8. Damn, Gavin's getting better and better at these.

    ReplyDelete