Thursday, April 23, 2020

Don't bungle this one

Tonight, my favorite football team, the Cincinnati Bengals, have the first selection in the NFL Draft.

Barring anything unforeseen, which is never a given with this dysfunctional franchise, they will be selecting Joe Burrow from LSU to lead the franchise for years to come.

It's the right pick. It's the smart pick. Burrow was the best QB in the nation, and while cases can be made for guys like Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert, Burrow needs to be the pick.

I like that Peyton Manning has already been talking to him, telling him that the first year will be rough. And I agree. I don't expect him to come in right away and put up college numbers. Take your lumps (but not too many), learn, and be ready for years two and beyond.

The Bengals have a decent WR core as long as AJ Green is back, so that should help.

I don't collect football by any means, but I wanted a few of Burrow's cards. I won't keep chasing these, but I'l snag another once he's in a a Bengals uniforms.
You're on the clock, Bengals. Don't screw this one up.

5 comments:

  1. You... a Bengals fan? How did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rooted for the Bengals both times they played the 49ers in the Super Bowl. I'm pretty sure the 1981 game was the first time I realized how much I dislike the 49ers. Everyone around me were 49er fans... and I couldn't stand it.

    If you ever decide to start collecting the Bengals... let me know. I don't have many Yankees left in the trade bucket, but I'm sure I have a stack of Bengals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burrows with the Bengals and Tua with the Patriots should make the AFC fun for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping the Packers would trade for A.J. Green - until it became clear that the Bengals would get Burrow. Hopefully he starts turning things around in Cincinnati. It's been far too long since they've won a playoff game.

    ReplyDelete