Wednesday, April 8, 2020

I still love you, Donnie

One dude who I don't really give enough respect to on this blog is Don Mattingly.

I love Don Mattingly. I didn't choose to collect Tino because he replaced Mattingly. I chose to collect him because I admired the way he followed Mattingly's footsteps.

Tino wore 23 with the Mariners because he admired Mattingly, after all.

Mattingly cards have never been a huge focus of mine, likely because when I was collecting in middle school, it wasn't easy to go back and buy cards from a few years prior, at least for a kid. Not like it is now to a collect a player from any time. So my Tino collection grew with the current releases in 97, 98, 99, etc.

Naturally, I've accumulated a ton of Mattinglys just from blogger packages and such, but I still never really seek out his cards. The same thing happened recently when someone on TCDB offered me this card, which wasn't even on my wantlist:
That's a 2020 SP legend photo variation. Pretty cool. It's always weird to see older players on current designs, although I guess not that weird since Archives has kind of blurred that line. Plus the legends variations are nothing new. Still, I was glad to get it, even though I didn't have it on my wantlist, per se.

Plus, I traded away 11 cards I didn't want for it, ranging from those Target Vlad Jr inserts to a Cody Bellinger Turkey. Pretty cool trade to ditch 11 2019-20 inserts I didn't want for a Mattingly SP.

More than anything, it's always nice to get a reminder of my first-ever favorite player.

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic image on that Donnie Baseball card

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trading stuff you don't want for something you do want makes the hobby world go round.

    P.S. I like the photo too... but I wish they didn't crop off his left toes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mattingly's had a healthy slew of awesome SPs in recent times, this is definitely up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card, it's always nice to see Mattingly make an appearance in current sets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This card is really nice. Great photograph and action shot.

    ReplyDelete