Monday, April 6, 2020

Where was I?

Normally I'm pretty in-tune with what's going on in the sports world.

Whether it's checking ESPN.com or glancing up at the office TVs that are always tuned to ESPN, or a quick mid-day stroll through Twitter, not a lot happens where I feel like I'm last to know when it comes to what's trending in sports.

However, I felt like that with the passing of Al Kaline today, as I was stuck on calls all day and didn't see this until it was well into the news cycle.

Obviously Kaline was a legend of the game, and any time a legend passes, it makes you stop for a minute. While I have a few old Kaline cards, my favorite is definitely a TTM autograph on a Topps insert from 2012.
I don't love the insert itself. I've grown to hate the 2012 inserts. But that spring, Al Kaline was signing TTM autographs for $5, and while I usually don't send to guys with a fee, this one was hard to pass up.

I wish I sent it on a vintage card, but at the time I had just gotten back into collecting, and it's what I had in 2012.

2012. That was a long time ago. March of 2012, when I got this, was over 8 years ago.

While looking back at the post from 2012 here, it made me think back to where I was then in my life:

My son, now 8, was 3 months old.
I was still at my first place of employment. I'm on my fourth now.
I lived on the Upper East Side in NYC. Since then I moved to Hoboken, NJ, and then to my current town.
I lived in a rental. I've rented three homes since then. I now own one.
I was automobileless. I have bought four since (not all at once)
I had a cockapoo dog. I know have a bernedoodle dog.
I weighed about the exact same.
I had about 500 Tino cards.

Seems like a lifetime ago.

Thanks for a quick trip down memory lane, Mr. Kaline. RIP.





6 comments:

  1. This was the first I heard of that news. May he RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIP, Al Kaline.

    On a lighter note, my first dog was a cockapoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a signature that improves the card in countless ways! Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the sad news yesterday afternoon around 4 or 5pm (PST) on ESPN... so it looks like I found out later than you. This has been a rough year... and I'm not just talking about the virus. We've lost so many athletes, it's getting hard to keep track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way in 2012... I hadn't started collecting Kaline. That changed in 2013 after reading an article about him in Baseball Digest.

      Delete
  5. That look back at 2012 really puts life in perspective. RIP Mr. Tiger

    ReplyDelete