Friday, April 10, 2020

Not a Cole collector, but I want his cards

I don't anticipate becoming a Gerrit Cole collector over the next 9 years. I anticipate accumulating many of his cards the way I did a guy like CC Sabathia or Masahiro Tanaka. But I don't plan on making him a focus of mine.

That doesn't mean I won't stray here and there. In fact, I made a purchase this past week to pick up his 2013 Topps Update RC. I probably had it at one time or another, but sent it away in a batch of Pirates cards. It felt like a smart thing to own, even if he's in the wrong uniform.
Now on to the photoshopped right uniform cards. Both of these came in over the last two days via various TCDB trades.

This is my first look at Gypsy Queen, a set I like but don't love. Similar to Donruss and Ginter, all of the GQ designs are now blending together for me.
I was surprised to see Cole's Opening Day card is different than his flagship SP. I wonder if his real Topps base card will look like this, or if it'll be a shot from spring training. Time will tell...maybe.
I'm sure when all is said and done 9 years from now, I'll be sitting on a few hundred Cole cards. I hope some of them have his signature on them. But at worst, one for sure will have the little "RC" logo on it, and that's a great start.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe his Topps sticker will be a Yankees card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Cole with the Pirates and the Astros. He'll be one of those Yankees I'll like and admire... but I don't imagine myself cheering for him anymore.

    P.S. That Update rookie is a nice looking card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these Photoshopped cards are so awful. It's so squirrelly. Thanks for sharing them. Why can't they wait for "real" cards? It isn't fooling any one. Or is it? (Sorry, didn't mean to offend!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a guy who may have a large stash of Cole cards available for trade/sale. He was always a favorite of mine. I'm disappointed that our GM traded him away for a couple of magical beans that never grew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should be fun to see what his Yankees cardography is going to look like these next 9 years.

    ReplyDelete