Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter basket cards

I distinctly remember getting cards in my easter basket four different times.

In fact, each were essentially a blaster box before they were called "blaster boxes." They were the Target boxes that costs $10 or $20, but I sort of looked down on them because they weren't "hobby boxes." I dunno, I was middle-school aged and it felt like getting a cheaper thing than the real thing. Well, dummy, because it was.

It was also a time when the boxes were basically the same size as a hobby box, but had a ton of foam padding inside.

The first year I can remember, I actually got basketball cards. It would have been a blaster of 1996-97 Upper Deck Collector's Choice basketball series 2. Not only was Collector's Choice my favorite baseball brand, but I loved their basketball cards too. Maybe even more. Looking back, this was a solid choice because it had rookies of Kobe, Nash, Ray Allen, and Allen Iverson. I still have most of those. It looked something like this:
Pretty solid rookie class, and I'm glad I never got rid of them. Especially happy to still have the Kobe!
I believe it was 1998 that would have brought baseball card under my Easter basket. Yes, not in, but under. I distinctly remember my basked being placed on top of a 4-pack of Pinnacle Inside cans. They looked a little something like this:
Picture 1 of 2
Maybe no better card product represents the quirky 90s than these.

Moving on to 1999, I'm pretty sure I got a box of 1998 cards in the form of Pacific Online. These were odd cards that had a massive url at the top. You know, because players now had web pages on the world wide internet. Only instead of something like a vanity URL, you were expected to type in this a long web address to look up stats on your favorite player!
The last box I got, which I still have, was again getting cards from the year before, this time in the year 2000 getting cards from '99. In this instance, it was a blaster box of 1999 Score Rookie Traded with Chipper on the front.
It's funny how I can barely remember yesterday, but cards in Easter baskets 20+ years ago? No problem.

Happy Easter!


7 comments:

  1. Happy Easter! I don't remember if I ever received cards... but I do remember all of the chocolate and the Easter egg hunts. Good times. And that 1996/97 Collector's Choice set is fantastic. I was looking to pick up a factory set, but they're a little too pricey these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So these boxes were the same size of hobby boxes but had a ton of foam patting inside? That is an insane level of box bloat that seems oddly right for the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those retail boxes! Got a few over the years myself. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never received cards but that is great. Heck I don't think I'd even remember all that. Fun post and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely remember those old retail boxes with the foam inside, bought a lot of those in the '90s. Can't recall any specific card gifts for Easter as you have here, but I did get a blaster of Gypsy Queen from my wife this morning.

    Happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter! Mix of stuff here; most of it new to me. I don't know if we got Easter cards or not. I always remember getting a nice, spring-ish shirt. And candy, of course. But I'm sure at some point we might've gotten cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure got some good rookie cards in that basketball set.

    I never got cards. I got a poetry anthology one year. Though I probably preferred the Cadbury creme eggs. Ha.

    ReplyDelete