Tuesday, May 24, 2011

TTM Success: Mike Stanley

Yesterday in the mail I received a SASE post-marked from "Mid-Florida." I assumed that this was a success from Javy Vazquez of the Marlins, who I need for my Topps Yankees Project (2005). However, I was surprised to find two cards signed from former Yankees catcher Mike Stanley! I sent this on March 4, so it took about 2 and 1/2 months. He signed my 1995 Topps (was going to originally use this in my project - still might) and a 1993 Leaf.

Stanley was a fan (and personal) favorite as the Yankees were turning it around in the early 1990's. With the flurry of success after he left in 1995, it's easy to forget how good he was with them. In fact, his only All-Star appearance came as a Yankee. He left after the 1995 season, but the Red Sox actually traded him back to the Yankees down the stretch in 1997. Can you imagine that happening nowadays? Anyways, the Yanks won the World Series in 1996 and 1998, while Stanley was on the team in 1995 and 1997. Not fair.


No comments:

Post a Comment