Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Damn you, Tim Salmon


To be clear, I hold nothing against Tim Salmon. Just one of his cards. You see, a few weeks back, I was patrolling around eBay on my iPhone app. While it's a nice app to track bids and items you are watching, it leaves a lot to be desired when searching for an item. Anyhow, I was searching for some refractors and came across a few that were starting at $.01 with free shipping. I figured I'd put in a few low bids and then forget about them. If I won, I won. If not, no big deal.

One of the bids I put in was $.25 for a 1997 Tim Salmon Refractor. Or so I thought. I slipped up on my iPhone and did not put a decimal in the bid. My max bid was $25!! Ohhh noooo! If someone really wanted this card, they could have driven the price way up on me. I won the card for a few bucks, which was still a few bucks more than I would ever want to spend on a Tim Salmon card. My advice to you: bid with care and double check the amount you are bidding as your max bid.

If anyone is interested in the card, let me know.

5 comments:

  1. I've been very close to doing this before. The ones that scare me are .99 and 99.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bid $2500 on a far-from-pristine vintage bobblehead way back when I first discovered eBAY using the same 'no decimal' method. I think I won it for $35 which is only $10 more than I intended to bid but it could have been much worse. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all Ebayers have made that mistake. It is scary and hard to wait it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never fallen victim to the decimal point problem, but I have bid on multiple copies of the same item and had to hope that I didn't win all of them.

    - Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least Salmon is good for you.... oh rim shot!

    ReplyDelete