Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Goofy vintage baseball poses

One of my favorite things about vintage cards is the goofy poses the photographers made the players do. Before live action shots became the norm in the late '60s and early '70s, collectors had to suffer through these dorky spring training or pregame shots. I love looking at the few vintage cards I have and checking out these poses, because they look so undeniably nerdy.

There were three main poses - a fielder getting ready to throw (or pretending to), a batter with the bat on his shoulder little league team photo style, and a pitcher who supposedly just finished throwing a pitch. I could be missing a few and there were exceptions of course, but these seemed to be the most common. The worst part is, it didn't even look like the actual baseball action. Are you telling me that Jerry Coleman looked like this when he fielded a ball and threw to first?


 Or this? He looks like he us surfing, which I guess makes sense because he ended up in San Diego.


Poor Jerry. He was far too cool to be depicted in such a manner. What are you favorite goofy vintage poses? Any cards stick out in your mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment