Saturday, April 16, 2011

First Yanks game of the year is a WIN!

I just got back from my first Yankees game of the year. I usually get to 10-15 every year, so it was nice to get to the first one. It was freezing (mid '40s) and there was a light rainy mist the whole game. The Yanks took home a 5-2 win after a stellar pitching performance by Freddy Garcia (no joke) against those pesky Rangers.

The game was flying along until Rafael Soriano tried to give it back in the 8th. Mark Teixeira hit a two-run HR in the first and a sac fly in the third. Garcia went six crafty scoreless innings and Joba pitched a solid 7th. As much as I like Soriano in the 8th, he is painful to watch. Very deliberate. Didn't he know I was freezing?

Robinson Cano, aka the best 2B in baseball, hit a 2-run shot in the bottom of the 8th for insurance. He donked it off the foul pole off of lefty Derek Holland, who threw a decent game overall. Mariano Rivera came in for an easy save. There is nothing like seeing him enter a game live. I remember when Billy Wagner tried to come in to Enter Sandman. Child please.

ARod left the game with oblique and lower back stiffness. I'm hoping it's nothing serious. With a night game tomorrow and a day off Monday, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sit for two days and be ready for Toronto on Tuesday.

All in all, a good day with great friends and crappy weather (the Yanks said we could use our ticket for another game later in the year!).  But hey a win is a win! Too bad the Red Sox won...I wanted 2-11, but I guess I'll live with 3-10 for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment