Tuesday, April 5, 2011

TTM Success: 1951 Topps!!!!!!! Yes, 1951.

So my Topps Yankees Project was supposed to start with 1952. I had Charlie Silvera and that was the starting card...until I read one of your blogs and saw that 1951 was actually a year that Topps produced cards. Oh well, these were a game and I wouldn't let it bug me. But it did. Deep down. It nagged on me because I knew my project wouldn't be complete until I had a 1951. I picked up this 1951 on eBay (it's in great shape too) for a few bucks, and got the balls up to ship off this request. I sent it about six weeks ago and I started to get a little worried lately. It paid off today when I found this in my mailbox:


How sweet is that?! A signed 1951 Topps Yankee card! It actually says "Gerry Coleman", not Jerry, but rest assured it's him. I got greedy and also sent along a 1950 Bowman REPRINT and got that returned with a signature as well. Mr. Coleman is a great baseball man and I couldn't be happier.


Anyways, now I have a slight dilemma. I already had Jerry Coleman as 1957...and I don't want to include two of the same player in my project. So here's one solution: replace my '57 Coleman with my '57Bobby Shantz, my '58 Shantz with my '58 Gil McDougald, and my '60 McDougald with a new 1960. I have a request out to Art Ditmar for a 1960, but I'm not so sure how that's going to go. I could also send out another request or two 1960's. I think Eli Grba might sign.

Anyways, I'm super excited about the 1951 Topps addition. I know some people may cringe that and that I may have devalued the card, but I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed.

    I don't even remember seeing an authentic 1951 Topps card before, much less owning a signed one.

    ReplyDelete