Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What I've Learned

One of my favorite parts of Esquire magazine is the "What I've Learned" section. Actors, athletes, political figures and dudes of any kind give a brief interview of what they've learned over the years. I've had a blog for about three months, and have learned a lot so far. I thought I'd share some of my thoughts...

What I've Learned

Everyone in the card blogosphere is very generous. I’ve made about 25 trades, and nearly every blogger has sent me more than what is necessary or that we agreed upon. I’ve even gotten a few “just because” packages for no reason.

Most blogger have set collecting goals, and I love how diverse they are. Team collectors, player collectors, set chasers, big hit chasers. The list goes on.

Dodgers, Reds and Braves cards are popular and seem to be the most collected. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s my observation.

People don’t like the Yankees. Even on baseball cards.

With that being said, it’s still expensive to collect Yankee cards, especially relics. Just like with free agents, there is a “Yankees Premium.”

My postings may be too Yankees-centric. I need to diversify a little bit. I’ll still focus on the Yanks, but maybe I’ll highlight some other non-Yankee cards I have.

It’s hard to keep up a blog and post regularly. For those of you who do and keep up the quality, I admire you.

I need to do a better job proofreading.

I need a scanner. Sorry about all my crappy iPhone pictures that makes cards look like trapezoids.

I miss clear cuts, die cuts and holograms. In that order.

I appreciate those who are into and follow my TTM postings and my Topps Yankees Project.I've always been off and on with TTMs, and you’ve been keeping me interested in it.

You guys (and girls!) all have really, really good cards. I’m envious of your collections.

I don’t think I’ll ever be a high-end collector. As much as I’d love to bust a box of Topps Tribute, I don’t think it’s in the cards for me. Maybe one day. Not right now.

I missed a lot of great sets of cards from 2002-2010. You guys have sent me so many great cards from sets I missed, and I’m truly appreciative.

Contests are fun. But I never win.

I wish I had a local card shop with a quarter or dime bin. That would be fun.

I’m going to keep this blog for the foreseeable future. It’s been a lot of fun, and I feel like I’ve made a few new friends. Thanks for being so welcoming!

6 comments:

  1. To add to the teams, I'm surprised at how many Blue Jays collectors there are out there. It's good, but I'm just surprised.

    I, too, will never be a high-end collector, especially since it's tough enough to justify a $20 blaster purchase to my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to mention the Jays also, I have met four so far.

    The most surprising thing to me was the lack of collectors for both the White Sox and Angels. They are both big city clubs, albeit 2nd best in town to most and both have won a World Series in the last 10 years, unlike the three you mentioned.

    Who knows? Maybe they are out there and we just haven't found them yet.

    I will second the contest comment, I don't think I ever won one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a little reflecting. I've found the card-blog-o-sphere to be full of all sorts of crazy characters, but the one thing we all share is our love of cardboard. Set collectors, team collector's, player collectors, ect. To your post you need a scanner! It makes the world a better place and you can pick up one cheap trust me. I just upgraded to a large format scanner and even it wasn't that much. You stay Yankeecentric, we don't care. Your blog is what it is, but it never hurts to branch out a little.
    And lastly I still love the TTM Topps Project, so much so, I've been thinking of stealing the idea and using it on a Brewers project, I only have to go back to 1971! Keep up the good work AJ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I've learned a few things along the way and the generosity of fellow bloggers is great. You can keep it Yankeefied if you want to, it's your blog. I'm one of those Yankee "haters", but it's all about the team, not bloggers/collectors. Besides, I need somewhere to send my Yankee cards. I love the idea of the team TTM project too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! We've only been around a year and have found the generosity to be true as well. Keep up the good work- big fans over at the Gum! -Andy

    ReplyDelete