Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Proud owner of a Yogi Berra 1960 Topps

On the right hand side of my blog, there are nine cards that are part of my Collecting Holy Grail. Some are a lot more realistic than others. Some are more vague – a Mickey Mantle base card for example, while some are more precise, like a 1993 Topps Finest All Star Don Mattingly.

For a few of the older cards, the best way is to find cards that are in poor condition, and hope that I can acquire them on eBay or via trade. That’s exactly what happened with this card, as I am now the owner of a 1960 Topps Yogi Berra! I got this for a few bucks on eBay – I paid less than $6 shipped for this card. The condition is rough, but I don’t mind…it’s what enabled me to buy the card. A few wrinkles won’t make me love it less.


I’m thrilled to add an actual Yogi Berra Topps base card to my Yankees collection. I’ll keep it right next to my 1955 Rizzuto. I’m still chasing a Mantle, but for the time being, I’ll try and knock a few cards off my grail. For now, instead of replacing it on my list, I’m just going to cross it off.

Stay tuned, as I picked up a second card off of my Holy Grail…and no, it’s not a Mantle.

8 comments:

  1. Sweet card. I'm looking for my first vintage Yogi card. Hope I'll be able to add one to my collection soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Not the prettiest card, but it's still cool to own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Maybe someday you'll be able to upgrade, but there's no shame in a 50+ year old card looking its age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree, Paul. I'm not worried about the perceived value. I'm not looking to sell it or get it graded. I just like owning it. I could have spent more on a better condition one, but it's all the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the great find! Nothing better than finding low prices on great Yankees cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah for sure, Drew! I haven't struck gold with a binder like yours, but I still love owning these old cards no matter how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have the sane card w/auto i had the mantle i sold it

    ReplyDelete
  8. the same card not sane i have whitey ford also signed

    ReplyDelete